How To Keep Tablecloths From Blowing Away
When you dine outdoors or host outdoor events, a common challenge is preventing tablecloths from lifting off tables whenever the wind picks up. Discover why that happens more with some tablecloths than others, and learn some practical tips to keep tablecloths from blowing away. The solutions in this article will help ensure your outdoor meal or event is not troubled by unruly wind.
- Methods of keeping tablecloths from blowing away involve anchoring or weighing down your table cover.
- Lightweight, flexible tablecloth materials are more likely to be affected by wind.
- It’s important to choose the right material for outdoor use with tablecloths.
- Look for heavyweight materials and choose additional measures to protect tablecloths against wind.
How To Keep Tablecloths From Blowing Away In The Wind
Whether your solution is tablecloth clips, weights or anti-slip mats, there are many ways to keep tablecloths from blowing away in outdoor settings. Our customized tablecloths can add a rich aesthetic element to your event or dining experience, and we make them from materials that are less likely to be caught by the wind. But the following solutions are helpful for any tablecloth that needs a little help staying in place in outdoor settings.
Tablecloth Clips And Clamps
Tablecloth clips and clamps can be purchased from home goods stores, and they are available in various designs and materials to match your aesthetic preferences. Choose ones that are compatible with your table's thickness and the type of tablecloth for a simple and effective solution on how to keep tablecloths from blowing away.
- Lay your tablecloth evenly over the table, ensure an equal overhang on all sides.
- Attach the clips or clamps, starting near a corner and securing opposite ends until every corner is firmly clamped in place.
- Once all clamps are in place, check that the tablecloth is not being overly stretched and adjust if necessary.
- Enjoy a wind-resistant tablecloth for the duration of your meal or event.
Tablecloth clips and clamps are highly practical and convenient. When faced with windy conditions, the secure hold they offer will provide you with peace of mind.
Tablecloth weights are a straightforward and effective method for keeping table covers from blowing away. They are readily available at home goods stores, and you should select those that match your tablecloth's size and weight. They come in a range of designs, including many decorative options that can enhance the appearance of your table setting. Consider choosing some that are a good match for your custom outdoor table covers.
- Apply your tablecloth to the table, ensuring it is evenly spread throughout.
- Position the weights along the edge of the tablecloth. Space them evenly and ensure you cover areas that are likely to be affected by the wind.
- Attach the weights - they can be clipped or tied to hang from the tablecloth. Follow the instructions and ensure a secure attachment.
- Enjoy excellent wind resistance for your tablecloth throughout your meal or event.
Tablecloth weights are cleverly designed to effectively perform their task while also adding an aesthetically pleasing element to your table setting. They provide a secure hold, ensuring you won't need to worry about gusts of wind.
Customizing The Tablecloth
As leading suppliers of custom tablecloths, we offer a user-friendly design wizard during the ordering phase of our products. You can use it to make a variety of choices to personalize your table cover. Whether you are choosing a tablecloth for an event, your place of business or personal use, you can make specific customizations that will help prevent your tablecloth from blowing away.
The key decisions in the design phase involve selecting the fabric and ensuring the proper fit. Our fabrics are heavy and durable, making them resistant to wind infiltration. Whether you opt for polyester or spandex, you'll have a solution that is not easily lifted by unexpected gusts. With the correct size and a fitted or stretch design, your table cover will securely adhere to the table.
If these don’t suit your needs, you can choose your desired fit and use any of the DIY methods in this article to secure it in place.
Anti-Slip Mats Under The Tablecloth
Purchase anti-slip mats from a home goods store to place under your tablecloth, enhancing its grip to the table to prevent movement in the wind. Before buying your mats, you will need to ensure they are the right size for your table, so be sure to measure your table’s dimensions accurately first.
- Position your anti-slip mats evenly to cover the entire surface of the table. You can cut them to fit if necessary, and they will grip to the tabletop and your table cover.
- Lay the tablecloth on top of the mats, ensuring equal coverage over the table.
- Make sure the table cover is taut but not overly stretched.
- Enjoy improved wind resistance for your table.
This solution is primarily aimed at preventing your tablecloth from slipping, but it does offer some protection against the wind, helping to keep tablecloths from blowing away. You may want to use it alongside another method listed here for maximum protection.
Using Heavy Objects
Heavy objects are a fundamental solution for preventing anything from blowing away in the wind. When it comes to tablecloths, you need to consider the aesthetics of your table setting, so give some thought to the heavy objects you use.
If appearance is not a primary concern, you could use weights or sandbags, or create a nature-themed arrangement by adding rocks. For a more decorative look, consider incorporating a heavy centerpiece like a large vase or a small sculpture.
- Lay your tablecloth evenly over the table, removing creases and checking for tautness.
- Position the heavy object or objects. Weights along the edges of the tablecloth will be most effective, as this is where wind is likely to infiltrate. Ensure the heavy objects are securely placed so that the wind doesn’t move them.
- Enjoy your wind-resistant experience with the tablecloth.
This is a versatile and cost-effective solution that can be achieved with everyday objects you already have. You have the flexibility to make it as decorative as you want, but it may not be the most effective method for keeping your tablecloth from moving away from its original position.
Duct Tape And Rubber Bands
For a quick, temporary solution to keep your tablecloths from blowing away, you can use duct tape and rubber bands. It may not be the best way to keep plastic tablecloths on tables, but it is effective, and you can do it without the need to purchase anything special.
- Spread your tablecloth over the table evenly to have it in place.
- Fold over a corner of the tablecloth to create a small cuff, then use duct tape to secure that folded corner to the tablecloth itself. This will create a small pocket, and you can repeat this process for all four corners.
- Insert heavy objects into the pockets you created, like small weights or stones.
- You can wrap rubber bands around the pockets to secure the weights in place, ensuring they cannot slip out.
- Your tablecloth will now be protected against the wind.
This is a makeshift solution and not a long-term fix. It may leave residue on your tablecloth and could result in creases in the corners. Therefore, it is best suited for informal gatherings where aesthetics are not a primary concern.
Positioning Your Table
If you're looking for a solution with minimal effort, consider strategically positioning your table to keep the tablecloth from blowing away. For optimal results, you can combine this method with the use of weights or anchors, so it's a good idea to do it even if you are using any of the other methods listed here.
- Consider the shape of your table. Round tables are less likely to be affected by the wind, so they are better for outdoor use.
- Choose a sheltered location, perhaps near a wall, a fence or a hedge. These things provide natural windbreaks, acting as barriers to reduce your tablecloth’s exposure to wind.
- Make sure your windbreak has no obstructions or gaps, as these could compromise their effectiveness.
- Orient the table so that the longer sides face into the wind. This way, there will be minimal surface area exposed, so the tablecloth is less likely to be lifted.
Careful positioning of your table can minimize the risk of your tablecloth being affected by the wind. This way, you can enjoy your outdoor dining or event with greater peace of mind.
Why The Plastic Table Cover Keeps Blowing Away
There are several reasons why plastic tablecloths get lifted off the table when the wind picks up:
- Lightweight material: Plastic is typically a lightweight material for tablecloths, so even gentle breezes can cause them to move.
- Smooth surfaces: If the plastic tablecloth has a smooth surface, it will have less friction against the table, meaning its grip cannot work so well. Consequently, when the wind hits it, the tablecloth will move.
- Thin, flexible material: Made from thin, flexible materials, plastic table covers allow wind infiltration that creates pockets of air underneath, lifting the cover easily.
If you have thin, plastic table covers, you are more likely to need the methods described in this article to prevent your tablecloths from blowing away. Alternatively, you could order a custom table cover from us made from heavyweight materials like polyester. This will help you avoid the problem altogether.
Make a statement with out custom table covers!
Are you ready to stand out at your next event?
Order now and elevate your brand with our high-quality, personalized table covers.
The Best Way To Keep A Plastic Tablecloth From Blowing Away In Picnic
The effectiveness of the different methods described in this post depends on the situation and the type of tablecloth you use. However, there are certain approaches that are known to be the most reliable in a wide range of circumstances. These include:
- Using tablecloth clips or clamps
- Applying tablecloth weights
- Customizing your tablecloth so that it is the right material and fit
The first two methods require a trip to your local home goods store, but they are highly effective. Alternatively, the third approach can be accomplished by ordering from us.
Our intuitive design wizard allows you to make all the right choices for your tablecloth, ensuring it's well-suited for outdoor use and wind resistance. This is how to keep a tablecloth from blowing off so you can enjoy your picnic.
How To Choose The Right Table Cover Material While Buying
There are various types of plastic used for tablecloths. Thin, lightweight plastics are highly affordable and provide water-resistance and easy maintenance. However, they are not aesthetically pleasing and are prone to blowing away. On the other hand, more durable plastics like polyester or spandex offer all the pros with none of the cons, ensuring a great experience for outdoor use with added stability.
The alternative is to choose fabric tablecloths. We offer table covers in a flannelette material for this purpose, but it is not the ideal material to keep table covers from blowing away. Other fabrics, such as cotton and linen, are typically heavier than plastic and provide excellent aesthetic appeal and durability. However, they come at a higher cost with more demanding maintenance requirements, and their water-resistance is minimal.
Ultimately, only you know what the best solution is for your needs. Consider the specifics of your event and the demands of the environment, but rest assured that our custom tablecloths offer a range of benefits for outdoor occasions.
Promote your brand with our custom table covers!
Ready to make a lasting impression at your next event?
Order now and showcase your brand with our eye-catching, personalized table covers.Make Your Custom Table Covers
What Type Of Table Cover Material Does Not Blow Away
Essentially, the best type of table cover material to look for is one that is heavyweight and does not have a smooth surface. This way, it will be difficult for the wind to infiltrate, and it will grip the tabletop effectively. Once again, our polyester and spandex table covers are excellent options for achieving this.
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Keep Tablecloths From Blowing Away
How To Keep Tablecloths From Blowing Away In The Wind
There are many approaches, all of which involve weighing the tablecloth down or anchoring it to the table in some way.
The Best Way To Keep A Plastic Tablecloth From Blowing Away
The best methods are to have the right type of tablecloth from the outset, and to use either tablecloth clips/clamps or tablecloth weights to anchor it in place.
What Type Of Table Cover Material Does Not Blow Away
Heavyweight materials like thick polyester or certain fabrics are more resistant to wind penetration. This means they are more likely to stay in place in windy conditions.